Sunday, August 23, 2015

Dear Baby Number Two



Dear Baby Two,


I have yet to take a picture of my growing belly with you inside. I have yet to peruse the aisles of Target imaging all the things you and I might need.  I have yet to begin work on your bedroom, although your time in utero is half way through.  

I am sorry about the two weeks I didn't take prenatal vitamins because I ran out of them and forgot to go the store. Every single day I forgot.  For two weeks. I am sorry that I have fallen twice and surely scared you with the surges of cortisol and adrenaline.  I am sorry that raw vegetables have disgusted me since May and you have gotten none of their benefits.  

I wanted to give you all the grace and goodness I could muster, but I fear I have not.  

But as I sit here in the early morning, your brother still asleep, I daydream about you.  I wonder about the way your voice will sound. I wonder about the color of your hair.  You ride silently with me all day, even when our schools days are 12 hours long.  You are my ally.  When I lay down at night you wake up.  Your elbows and knees are a welcome feeling in my belly.  Your dad can't feel your movements yet, so each jump is just between you and me.  I am happy that you are my child. 

 I may not get all the things accomplished that I should before you arrive, but I am so excited for that day. The lack of preparedness is not be confused with a lack of readiness. I have arms you can sleep in and the anatomy to feed you.  This time around I know that beyond all the niceties of nurseries and pinterest-inspired crafts, that this house of love made by your dad, brother, and I are enough.  You, Sundance, are so loved.

Always,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment