Saturday, October 6, 2012

Be not afraid!

A lot of my posts have been about yikes moments and fears realized, but I wanted to share some happy endings.  There were a few things that I was apprehensive about facing, but I am happy to share with you some good outcomes.

1.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to handle the nighttime/constant demands of a baby.  There have been so many times when I have been dead to the world, then my little guy would tell me he needed me by crying, trying to latch-on to my arms/t-shirt, or rocket pooping out the back of his diaper and up his back, and every time, the strength and energy appeared to give him what he needed.  There were times I couldn't have formed a cohesive sentence or even managed to walk in a straight line, but if little man wanted to eat for an hour, the strength was there.

2.  Even if your partner watches the baby come out of your hooha, they'll still love you and find you attractive (in due time...j/k, well maybe).  I know I looked like a hot mess with my legs up, sweating, and making some strange noises, but thankfully he is either really quick to forget or actually really okay with it.  Have no fear, they will be questioning the doctor's "six weeks of not doing it" while you are still recovering.

3.  Bodies are very resilient.  So for nine months, you stretch out your skin, muscles, and clothes.  I was naturally curious about how my body would reset.  Everyone's body is different and the general consensus is that it takes nine months to put on the weight it should take nine months to take it off.  Here is the good thing though, everyday for over a week, you can watch yourself start moving back to normal.  The day after I had the baby, I looked about like I did at 6 months pregnant.  Then with each day I watched myself shrink a little more.  There are definitely some pounds that will be here until I decide to work up a sweat and fight them off, but know, after delivery you can eat like a fiend and you will still shrink up, at least for a little while.

4. The hospital to home transition was smooth.  At the hospital there is a feeling of security because medical professionals are checking on you and your baby often, so for a lot of people it is scary to go home.  However, I found it be wonderful.  The first night, we threw a pizza in the oven, wrapped all three of us in one blanket, and settled in for a marathon of Parks and Recreation.  It was exactly our life but with a new feeling of completeness.  When we went to bed I was exhausted but knew that I could very easily stay up all night worrying about the baby.  I desperately needed to sleep so I quietly sat down next to the bassinet and decided to let go of all the "what-ifs" and have faith that things would be fine.  And they have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment